My father...



Dundo 14 de Abril de 1968 - Numa estrada em construção para  a piscina


Bastos (construção de estradas), ? (chefe do serviço de cartografia e desenho), ? (chefe de transportes), Fernando Ferreira e ? (empregado da administração)

My father…


He was a bright and good man… this is a good way to start the description of a father… but my father was a complex character…

He was the oldest of 5 brothers, borned in a poor family… only he lived more than one year…

His mother was an house keeper… not much to say about her… hardly know her…

His father was a working man… in the 1930’s / 1940’s was the owner of one of the best car mechanic in this town… he didn’t follow the evolution and in the 1960’s he was broke… spent the rest of his life doing small works in nickel… he bit his wife and son…

Once my father had the chance to work in a bank but he didn’t allow it… he worked in a photo shop taking pictures of people and events…

My father went to Lisbon where he work for Renault, and latter at the National Theatre has an actor for a brief time…

In the 1940’s he had lumb problems and in the 1950’s he become an active member of local parish (Sunday school and Saint Vincent of Paul Conference…)

In late 1950’s he went to Angola and only returned in 1968 to married in Alcobaça with my mother (after 19 years without talking because they were hungry with each other…

He worked for Diamang, the diamonds company of Angola… I only know he lived in Cafunfo and Calonda…

In 1975 he returned to Portugal after spending 36 hours inside a bath tube with bullets passing over him…

Here he worked selling building materials and spent lot of time with politics…

He was a founder of local CDS and for a short time member of municipality parliament…

He was very absent… left home very early and returned for dinner an d after he left for politics…

At the weekend he only knew the way to São Martinho do Porto, ending with a cake and a milk with chocolate at Capristanos in Caldas da Rainha…

In 1985 he lost his job and become with a drinking problem that will killed him in April 1986…
Strangely I don’t have much more memories of him…

This is one of my problems with family – although people weren’t bad to me they just lived me alone and I truly never had a real family… and I miss that very, very much…

Comentários